Sunday, December 14, 2014

Must See Movie Monday - White Christmas



Film: White Christmas
Released: 1954
Director: Micheal Curtiz
Starring: Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera-Ellen
Short Summary (from IMDb): A successful song-and-dance team become romantically involve with a sister act and team up to save the failing Vermont inn of their former commanding general.

Why It's A Must See Movie

No holiday season of mine is complete without the movie musical White Christmas. In my opinion this movie is a must see whether it is Christmas time or not. It is simply a feast for the heart, ear, and eyes.

Everything from the sets to the costume designs to the coloring of it is just beautiful. It has the double benefit of being set around Irving Berlin's genius songs. They are all excellently written, catchy, and sung beautifully by the actors. Though Vera-Ellen didn't actually sing any of her songs she makes up for it all with her ridiculously awesome dancing. Speaking of dancing, I think this movie contains some of the best choreography on film. Gosh, all the numbers with Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen's dancing knock my socks off every time I watch it. The movie is also full of lovely light humor that you can't help but find endearing. The whole thing is endearing. I love it!

Watch this movie this holiday season. I've found that even people that don't like musicals like White Christmas. Be careful if you watch it on TV though because sometimes they cut important songs and scenes out of it on TV. It makes me crazy! You might be safe if it's on TCM but other than that I would just buy the film or watch it on Netflix or something. If you want even more comedy, songs, and dance numbers I highly suggest seeing a professional live stage show of White Christmas if you get the chance. I saw it a couple years ago and it was great. They even had a snow machine going so it could snow at the end.

No comments: