Monday, October 27, 2014

Must See Movie Monday - Psycho


Film: Psycho
Released: 1960
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Starring: Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, John Gavin, Vera Miles
Short Summary: Secretary Marian Crane steals $40,000 from her employers clients. While on the run she checks into the remote Bates Motel, but never checks out.

Why It's A Must See Movie

Oh Psycho. The movie that makes us all think twice about taking a shower when alone in the house. What is amazing about the film is that no matter how many times I watch it I am still surprised by what happens. I know every element of the story before it starts and yet I still don't really believe what going to happen until it occurs. I attribute this weird yet amazing feeling to a few factors, excellent writing, excellent direction, and Anthony Perkins' performance as Norman Bates. All the actors are amazing but Anthony takes the cake. He is so good at playing Norman's nuances that at first you can't see how deranged and dissociative the character is.

I also love how everything from the lighting to the costumes has symbolistic meaning. I adds so much to the movie and gives an extra boost to the feeling of foreboding you get while watching it. I love the camera angles used in the film. I love how they used sound with both the music and the effects. In this movie it's not what you see on the scene that scares you it's what you don't see and what you hear. When I watched it last night I noticed a couple clever editing things that aren't very noticeable but make the movie even more interesting.

If you like your creepy with a side of intelligence Psycho is the movie for you. However, do me a favor and skip watching the re-make. Please.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hitchcock is the master, for all the reasons you mention. Add Anthony Perkins' stunning performance and you have a classic. Need to watch this again, luckily I have the DVD.

But that remake - ugh!! Wtf were they even thinking??