Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Weekly Obsession Wednesday (9)

Hello friends. Time for this weeks obsessions. Shiny! On with the show.

#5 80's Movies

I finally finished editing my fan video about 80's teen movies. A video that I hope to share with you all some time this week or next. Anyway, I didn't realized it until this week but I am obsessed with 80's movies. I think of all my friends my age or close to it I am the one that has seen the most films from that decade. That's pretty awesome. I think I need to find and watch a few more films from that time though. They just make me happy.




#4  A Fine Frenzy's Pines Album

Rediscovering old music loves lead to finally getting around to listening to albums of artists that I haven't listened to in a long time. This album came out in 2012 and I still hadn't gotten to listen to it until this week. I kept meaning too and then never getting around to it. It's a very chill album which makes it perfect for reading. Which is great because I'm really into reading this week and A Fine Frenzy's music went great with the book that I mention as number two on this list.



#3 Kt Tunstall's Invisible Empire//Crescent Moon Album

Yet another album that came out awhile ago but that I hadn't gotten a chance to listen to yet. This album is quite different from Kt Tunstall's usual stuff but equally lovely. It's the kind of album that makes you close your eyes and relax. That is exactly what I did. I think this would also be a good album for reading. I'll have to try it out next time I give it a listen.





#2 The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

I bought this book and started reading it over weekend, even though I was reading five other books at the time. I told myself it was because the movie was coming out soon, but I think I really just wanted a change of pace. I'll tell you more about it when I do my book review. However, I will tell you that it took over my life over the weekend and I had finished it by Sunday night. Obsessed! I really hope they do a good job with the film.



#1 Non-fiction

I love reading non-fiction this week. I've been into it a lot this month, but now I'm really seeking it out. I am particularly into reading about two subjects. The first being the Memory Palace Technique. I became interested in this mostly because of my a fore mentioned obsession with Sherlock Holmes, who is known to use this technique in the novels as well as in the TV series. In case you don't know what a memory/mind palace is here is my definition. It is a technique in which you use both mnemonics and spacial memory to help you recall any number of facts, dates, lists, etc. The idea is that you create a place in a mind that is familiar to you as place a image of the mnemonic in that space to help you remember it. I've read one book that gives an example of how it works and I think I'm going to read more about it. It's very interesting.

The other non-fiction avenue I'm pursuing is on the subject of forensic psychology. I have no desire to pursue this field as career nor do I wish to write a crime novel. I simply have a interest in the subject. I like to watch a lot of shows about true crime and crime solving. I've always particularly enjoyed shows forensic psychology so I figured why not read about it. Right now I'm reading a book that shows authors how to better write fiction with forensic psychologists as characters. This book has really sucked me in. It does occur to me right now that even if I wanted to write a fantasy/sci-fi I would probably create better villains if I knew more about the criminal mind. Maybe I'm not wrong to take an interest in this subject after all.

No comments: