Monday, January 26, 2015

Must See Movie Monday - Underworld



Film: Underworld
Released: 2003
Rated: R
Director: Len Wiseman
Staring: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Speedman,
Short Summary: A war has raged for centuries between werewolves and vampires. This change for the vampire warrior Selene when she falls in love with a human who has recently been bitten by a werewolf for unknown reasons.

Why It's A Must See Movie

I think Underworld has a little something for everyone. A ton of action and fight scenes with awesome choreography. Vampires and Werewolves for the supernatural buffs, and a little bit of forbidden romance. If you like all of those things like I do you will probable enjoy this movie.

I just love when a movie or story can bring an audience a new approach to an old mythology. Let's face it vampires and werewolves have been done over and over again. However, Underworld brings a new approach to both. Perhaps because this movie throws some science fiction in with the urban fantasy. The world building is pretty awesome as well. I'm sure that if you looked at it through a microscope it isn't totally perfect. However, who really wants to do that? The writers answer enough questions that you feel like they put effort into creating their world, and that is all I need to be happy.

When I watch Underworld I always appreciate the style of the film. I love how the lighting and the filters that it used supply an excellent sense of the dark mood of the film. I also enjoy the costuming and creature design. They really put a lot of detail into those elements and it help the audience get a sense of the world the filmmakers created. Plus this is one of the few films that can get away with slow motion on occasion without it looking corny. Yep, the stunts are that cool looking.

What I like about the performances of the actors is that I can tell there was thought put into how their voices and mannerisms should be interpreted. Playing ancient creatures is not easy. I feel that the way the those characters are written in the screen play, and the way the actors create performances where they considered how they would move or sound helps make the supernatural elements of these kind of films be more successful.

 Underworld is just some good action packed fun. I highly suggest getting the extended addition of it if you are planning on buying it. Also I recommend that you check out the rest of the Underworld movies as well. I admit Underworld: Evolution had to grow on me over time. However, I liked the prequel movie Rise of the Lycans right away, and Underworld: Awakening is awesomeness in a box. I actually wouldn't say no to another Underworld movie. The last film kind of had a cliffhanger ending.

No comments: