Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Thursday Dance Topics - Dance Interpretations - Elastic Heart

The one of the awesome things about dance is that different choreographers can interpret the same song differently. I thought it would be fun to post a few videos that show this element of dance in action. I decided to pick the song Elastic Heart by Sia. I love this song and I think there are so many things you can do with this song. Also the music video for the song contains dance so I included the original video along with a video where they share the ideas behind their interpretation of the dance. I hope you guys enjoy watching all the dances I picked. I had fun choosing them.




The story behind the music video.



Now for the different interpretations. This first one is a lyrical hip hop version. I think it is my favorite. Even though you can tell in was filmed in class you tell that the dancers are giving their full performance.



This is a lyrical/contemporary solo set to a piano cover version of the song.



This one is a contemporary duo dance. It is shot a little bit like a dance art film. I love how they use the setting in the choreography and of course the lifts are cool.



This last one is definitely a dance art film. It is shot in various locations and features a couple styles of dance though I would call it a modern jazz dance for the most part. I love this camera work and editing in this along with the choreography.


No comments: