Monday, October 19, 2015

Must See Movie Monday - Warm Bodies




Film: Warm Bodies
Released: 2013
Rated: PG-13
Director: Jonathan Levine
Starring: Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer
Short Summary: R is an unusual zombie who longs to re-connect with humanity. When he saves a human girl named Julie he discovers that what he feels for her may be the way to transform the entire lifeless world.

Why It's A Must See Movie

I suppose the fact that Halloween is just around the corner put me in the mood for a zombie movie. Well sort of. Warm Bodies is a little bit more than your run of the mill zombie film. This movie is a fun mixture of drama, comedy, action, and romance. Which is perhaps my favorite thing about Warm Bodies. I love to see a successful mixture of genres. I also think that it is great that the story takes two very commonly used story traits, zombies and forbidden love, then gives it a new spin. That is an element that keeps you totally engaged in the tale that the film tells.

Warm Bodies is that it is a film a lot of people can enjoy even if they don't like zombie movies. I do like stuff with zombies but some people don't. This movie offers something for everyone. If you don't a like zombies there is still the romance and comedy to look forward to. If romance isn't your thing it has action for you. While it isn't the scariest of zombie movies it does have enough unsettling imagery to keep it true to the genre and make you care about the story arch.

I think the technical elements of this film are amazing. First of all it is one of few movies that contains large amounts voice over that actually works. I never find myself rolling my eyes when the voice over starts, as I sometimes do in other films. In fact I think the voice over moments are the funniest parts of the movie. I think that has to do with the quality of the writing and how well everything works with the visuals. I also love how Warm Bodies is shot and edited. There is a lot of thought put into depicting specific story elements, and using some symbolism and foreshadowing. It is a movie that contains well edited montage moments. I think that a well edited montage is the difference between a believable love story and an unbelievable one. The fact that Warm Bodies demonstrates the development of R and Julie's relationship so well is what makes their quirky story believable. Add on to all this that I completely adore the movie's soundtrack. The music communicates the emotions of the the scenes perfectly.

Overall I think Warm Bodies is a great movie that shows that our ability to connect with each other is what makes us human. I highly suggest checking this movie out if you haven't already. You should also read the book because it is amazing as well.

No comments: