Monday, October 26, 2015

Must See Movie Monday - It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown



Film: It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
Released: 1966
Rated: G
Director: Bill Melendez
Writer: Charles Schulz
Voices By: Peter Robbins, Christopher Shea, Sally Dryer, Kathy Steinberg
Short Summary: While the Peanuts gang celebrates Halloween with the normal Trick of Treat and Halloween party, Linus waits for The Great Pumpkin in the pumpkin patch.

Why It's A Must See Movie

As much as I wanted to go scary with my Halloween week movie pick I just couldn't get into my normal scary mood. Thus, I decided to go with heart warming instead of scary this year and watch It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. It works out though because Peanuts holiday specials are must see movies of the most must see kind. They simply make a holiday more fun, and they are flipping adorable.

What I always find endearing about The Great Pumpkin is Linus' full on commitment to his Great Pumpkin mythology. Like a lot of kids he obviously has gotten a few things mixed up, but he is still convinced that The Great Pumpkin is coming. I love that depiction of childlike belief. I also love all the normal elements of Peanuts storytelling. Without fail nothing will work out for poor Charlie Brown and Snoopy will get a bit carried away with his very un-dog like imagination. It's familiar in a way that never gets old. Plus, the Peanuts animation is the perfect balance between detailed a simplistic. It is just so classic.

I really don't have much else to say about The Great Pumpkin. It is a short little movie that both young and old can enjoy. If you haven't seen it join humanity and watch it. I mean who doesn't love the Peanuts? Okay, my cousin doesn't like the Peanuts. Which is a shame, but she has a right to her opinion. Even if it makes me die a little inside, because the Peanuts are awesome.

No comments: