Wednesday, September 12, 2012

All Pointe All The Time

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android AppUploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Photobucket

This summer I decided to start dancing on pointe again. I haven't done it in something like eight years. In a nutshell I am a bit of a crazy person. I figured why not? I'm only twenty six and it will improve my ability to teach pointe class. In addition it will make my legs and ankles stronger for my turns. I'm really enjoying getting back on the pointe shoes. I'm actually more obsessed with them than was 8 years ago. I've been spending hours on YouTube looking up different types of shoes, strength exercises, and what different people put inside their shoes. I told my ballet teachers that I would be happy if I could dance in them all the time. So what if they give you blisters and make your feet hurt a little. I'll get calluses. So what if I don't have the best pointe feet in the world. I'm still having fun.

I've been doing a lot of work in the shoes lately. The only down side to that is that point shoes don't last very long. I made a wacky discovery after class tonight. The shank of my shoes was literally hanging by a thread. In case your not a dancer I have supplied a picture that shoes the basic parts of the pointe shoe. Basically the whole inside of my shoe that supports my foot is falling out. I guess I'll have to try to do a quick fix so I can dance this week. I just have to make it until Friday then I can go get some new shoes. I might get two pair so I can switch them out. You're actually supposed to let the shoes dry for twenty four hours after class. It keeps the sweat from deforming the shoe. Since I was trying a new brand I only got one pair. Now that I've watched some videos and tried these shoes I have a better idea of what my needs are. You know fitting pointe shoes is what I imagine trying to find the right wedding gown is like. Sometimes takes you forever to find the perfect shoes. After all these years I've discovered that I really like the Freed brand. I might want to try Russian Pointe as well. Ok, I guess I better go fix my busted pointe shoe. See you later. Keep it shiny!

No comments: