Monday, June 2, 2014

Must See Movie Monday - Jaws




Film: Jaws
Released: 1975
Rating: Yet another movie that is PG but that I think is more of a PG-13
Director: Steven Spielburg
Starring: Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dryfuss
Short Summary (from IMDb): When a gigantic great white shark begins to menace the small island community of Amity, a police chief, a marine scientist and grizzled fisherman set out to stop it.

Why It's A Must See Movie

Yesterday I was all set to pick a totally different movie for today. Then I was flipping through the TV channels and ended up watching the later part of Jaws. I thought that's it I have to pick Jaws for Monday, because it is just awesome. Plus this segment was sadly lacking in Spielburg films.

What I love about this movie is that all the elements of film come together in the perfect way. The dialogue is excellent. The scenes are all very memorable and interesting. It's contains actors that are wonderful and all of them can carry an extreme close up. An actor that can carry an extreme close up is the money, because they are essentially only acting with the camera.

Speaking of the camera, the camera work in Jaws is awesome. Their are so many super cool meaningful shots in it. I also think the best thing that could have happened to the film is that the automated shark rarely worked. It must have been frustrating at the time but it forced the director to think outside of the box. If that silly shark had worked they probably wouldn't have thought to do all those shots from the shark's point of view, which builds way more tension than when you actually see the shark. Add on to all this the excellent and memorable score contained in the film and you've got a cracking suspense thriller that must be seen.

Yesterday I also got to watch Jaws 2 for the first time. I have to say that as far as sequels go it was pretty good. Maybe it doesn't have quite the same magic as the first one, but it was still super suspenseful and well acted. All and all both are funny and scary movies that you can yell at. You know when you are screaming at the TV or movie screen going "Yes you need a bigger boat!" or "Swim faster people!" Haha! That's what makes them fun. Although I might have gotten too into it all yesterday. After the movies were done I have to put on The X-files and take a nap.

Update 6/4/2014: More Observation on this movie that I forgot. Lol!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of my favorite movies ever!! I agree that Jaws 2 is a really decent sequel. Can't say the same for the other two sequels though - they're pretty awful.

If you're a Jaws fan, here's the link to a really good book - it's a really fun and informative read:
http://www.amazon.com/Just-When-You-Thought-Safe/dp/1593933347/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top