Monday, January 18, 2016

Indie Film Spotlight - Not Another Happy Ending



Film: Not Another Happy Ending
Released: 2013
Director: John McKay
Writer: David Solomons
Starring: Karen Gillan, Stanley Weber, Iain De Caestecker, Amy Manson
Summary: When a struggling publisher discovers that his only successful writer has writing block, he decides the problem is that she is too happy. He creates a scheme to make her miserable enough to finish her book. High-jinks and argumentative romance ensues.

My Thoughts

I picked Not Another Happy Ending to watch because the Netflix summary explained so little about it. That sounds odd but the fact that I didn't know exactly what it was about interested me. I didn't have any kind of expectations for it other than the fact that it featured some actors that I seen on TV shows and the rating was at least four out five stars. It just seemed like something that would be fun to watch and luckily this movie did not disappoint. I am definitely putting Not Another Happy Ending on my list awesome feel good films.

What I enjoyed most about this film is that a rom-com that is actually genuinely funny. Of course it is one the quirkiest of quirky romances which is, as some of you might know, the only type of romance I find genuinely amusing anyway. Not Another Happy Ending is really smart about setting up comedic circumstances to put the characters in. It also has excellent characters that have a variety of realistic yet amusing habits which can be equally as hilarious. The most notable funny habit is that the female protagonist Jane starts seeing and talking to the fictional character she has been writing her book about. Good grief that just cracked me up. In fact the whole movie had me laughing out loud.

I also loved that this movie has excellent pacing. It's the type of movie that gets right to the point. It didn't waste time with any dialogue or scenes that didn't propel the story. I really appreciate that. I feel like a lot of indie films feel the need to keep scenes in that slow the movie down. This movie didn't do that. Thus, it was fast paced and kept my interest all the way through. It is also a rom-com that manages not to be completely predictable. I mean you know that it is probably going to end well but you can't predict how many bumps will happen on the way to the happy ending.

If you are looking for a feel good funny film with great actors, storytelling, and a nice soundtrack this or maybe Not Another Happy Ending is a movie you should try out. It should at least give you a giggle.


No comments: