Monday, November 3, 2014

Must See Movie Monday - Gentlemen Prefer Blondes



Film: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Released: 1953
Director: Howard Hawks
Starring: Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Elliot Reid
Short Summary: Singers Lorelei and Dorthy take a trip to Paris, pursued by a private detective sent by Lorelei's fiance's rich disapproving father.

Why It's A Must See Movie

I realized that I hadn't picked a Marilyn Monroe film yet. A must see list has to have at least a few Marilyn movies on it. I also hadn't watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes in so long that it was almost like new again. I thought I would give it a watch since it was on Netflix, and I do indeed think it is a must see.

The musical comedy Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is just a lot of good clean fun. It's not constructed to be super thought provoking but it makes a statement. The songs are catchy and lively. The costumes are ridiculously beautiful. Plus technicolor makes everything look even more colorful and lovely. I suppose you could say that this movie should be seen just for the iconic "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" scene as well. That way you can get it when countless other movies, tv shows, and music videos make a reference to it.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a great example of how simplicity in story, some great funny actors, and some fun tunes with cute choreography can create cinematic genius. I highly suggest checking it out. I think everyone would have fun watching it.

No comments: