Monday, January 5, 2015

Must See Movie Monday - Pulp Fiction

I just want to let you all know I wrote this between 11:30 and 1 a.m after performing at my grandpa's assisted living facility and riding 4 hours back home. What I'm trying to say is that though I spent a lot of time trying to catch all my typographical/other errors I may have missed more than a few. So I hope this makes sense. I just didn't want to miss another Monday.



Film: Pulp Fiction
Released: 1994
Rated: R
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Uma Thurman, Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer, Ving Rhames and a bunch of other awesome people who you will see in the trailer.
Short Summary (from IMDb because they said it so well): The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence a redemption.

Why It's A Must See Movie

First of all let us take a moment to do a little happy dance for this being the first time I've picked a Tarantino film. Weee! Okay now back to talking about the movie Pulp Fiction. Now I admit this movie probably isn't everyone's cup of tea. However, I think everyone that can see past the grittiness of Pulp Fiction should see it.

First of all I really appreciate that the cinematography, editing, and soundtrack of this film do so well at helping tell the story in this movie. I love when that happens! However, that is not the only factor that makes this movie a must see. What makes Pulp Fiction great is that it is so different from most films. Starting with the fact that every event is depicted out of chronological order. This is a format that could have easily gone awry, but in this case it works. Not only does in work but it ends up being brilliant.The fact that the story structure in out of order allows it to use a ton of foreshadowing and add to the enjoyment of the viewer when the story lines of certain characters crossover. The film begins with the beginning of the last scene. I love how that brings the story comes back around in this way. It gives this wacky violent movie a little bit of poignancy. Plus, I like that the nonlinear plot line makes it so that once you've watched it once you can watch it on tv at any point of the film and still enjoy it. You almost never absolutely have to watch it from the beginning if you don't get the opportunity to. I'm might be weird but that one of the things I love about Pulp Fiction.

Now let's chat about the dialogue in the film because it is just awesomeness in a box. There are few movies with dialogue as wonderfully strange as it is in Pulp Fiction. It adds so much to the development of the ironic quirky characters featured in the film. It also makes the lines and scenes memorable. It's definitely the kind of movie where you think "this is my favorite line" or "this is my favorite part."

I simply enjoy the wonderful performances of the actors. Every single actor is excellent. Even the actors playing what one might consider a supporting characters. They do so well at performing the very specific tone of the the movie. They are also very good at performing the epic monologues contained in the movie.


All the things I've listed about add up to a very strange effect. Wildly interesting mixture of dark seriousness and comedy. Things that should totally not be funny seem hilarious. Sometimes you forget that you are laughing at criminals doing horrible things until you really think about it after the fact. Other times you are surprised that one of those criminals came up with something so profound to say. It's just an amusing dichotomy. If you want the experience to be even more amusing you can watch it on a tv channel where they have to bleep out half of the words. It increases the hilarity tenfold. Haha!

I just realized this is the third film with Bruce Willis in it on my list. What can I say? I am my mother's daughter, and if  it has Bruce Willis or Arnold Schwarzenegger in it you better believe she is watching it. However, my dad is all about Jason Statham movies. It's an action movie kind of home. Not that that is a bad thing.

No comments: