Monday, April 13, 2015

Must See Movie Monday - Love Me or Leave Me


Hey everyone. Sorry that last week was such an epic fail in terms of me writing a movie review. I got called in to do some acting work. Which was awesome! Yet it meant that I didn't have time to write the movie review on Friday as I promised and edit last week's video. However, it is Monday our normal movie day, and I do actually have a movie review. Yay! On with the show!


Film: Love Me or Leave Me
Released: 1955
Director: Charles Vidor
Starring: Doris Day, James Cagney, Cameron Mitchell
Short Summary (from IMDb): A fictionalized account of the career of jazz singer Ruth Etting and her tempestuous marriage to gangster Marty Snyder, who helped propel her to stardom.

Why It's A Must See Movie

I don't often pick a movie for this segment that I haven't seen multiple times. However, every once in a while I watch a movie for the first time, and I have to talk about it. This is one of those moments.

After a crazy week I just felt like chilling on Sunday. They had some movies that I love on TCM so I thought that was an excellent way to relax. They were on a Doris Day kick and I just adore her. I think she is just a very genuine and interesting actress. They were showing Love Me or Leave Me which I had never seen. I was excited to see Doris in a drama since I had seen her mostly in comedies. I also was excited to see a James Cagney movie since I don't think I've seen many of his films. (I know. I totally need to watch more of his films.) Love Me or Leave Me is a flipping awesome film!

First of all I love the story structure. Is was a very nice mixture of drama and musical performance. It really kept me on my toes wondering what was going to happen with the characters. I thought the way the dialogue was written for each character showed so much about their attitudes. Plus the writer, director, and actors just knew how to interpret a great scene. All the scenes had excellent rise and fall in their structure. I think it was amazing too that the movie shifts so seamlessly between dramatic scenes and production numbers in terms of all the camera work and editing.

I loved how the songs where used in the film. All of them fit into the storyline perfectly and some of them were even foreshadowing for events in the story. Plus, I loved Doris Day's performance of the songs. I mean I always love her songs but her phrasing and style on these tunes just seemed extra beautiful. It helps that the movies title song is Love Me or Leave Me. A song that I was already obsessed with before watching this film. It doesn't even matter who is singing it.

I love any type of story that is set in the 1920's era. I just think that there are so many interesting stories that can be explored in that time period. The movie made me intrigued with real story of Ruth Etting. I might have to go read some more about her. I'm pretty sure the film pretty highly fictionalized her life. I would like to know what parts were real and what parts they made up for the movie. The movie introduced me to a new part of musical history which is extra cool.

Watch this movie if you get a chance. I think it really is a must see movie. Heck, even if you don't see the movie listen to the soundtrack. It's a must listen to soundtrack. I listened to it while writing this.

No comments: