Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Weekly Obsession Wednesday - Bookish Thoughts and Celtic Music

Hello all! Welcome to the obsessions for this week. Yay! Let's go!

#4 Audiobooks

 I am in an audiobook mood right now. It's the perfect thing to listen to while working on my puzzles or before I go to sleep. Also I'm a little behind on my Goodreads reading challenge (due to binge watching too much tv), and audiobooks are always a great way to catch up. I decided to start with the dramatized version of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. It was awesome! However, it did make me want a movie version of the book with the exact cast that they used for the audio recording.

After I finished that book I made another audio discovery. They finally put all the books in the Millennium Series in audiobook on Scribd! I've been waiting for this to happen since they started putting audiobooks on Scribd. I want to complete the last book in the series this year, and I wanted a fun way to re-read the previous two books before I start the third. The plots are so intricate and there are so many characters that I definitely need to refresh my mind on the story. I figured audio book was the perfect way to go about doing this. The cool thing about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on audiobook is that I'm finally getting to hear how certain names and words that are Swedish are supposed to be pronounced. The person reading the book does an excellent job at doing different voices for each character which is very helpful as well.



#3 Non-fiction and Instructional Books


I think this obsession is a repeat from several months ago. I guess every year I go through a phase where the only printed books I want to read are of the non-fiction variety. I realized that this happens for a few reasons. One is that it is a great way for me to work my way out of a reading slump. You are less likely to feel like you have to keep up with a non-fiction book. I can put it down for a long periods time and still come back to where I was reading without feeling like I need to start over. I don't have to feel bad about scanning sections and only reading the parts I want/need to read. Lastly if I don't like the book I feel like I can just stop reading it. Where as with fiction I often feel obligated to finish the story even if I don't like it. I guess it is just a time for learning about new things and reading about real people. Which is occasionally just as fun as reading fiction.

#2 The Wolfblood Theme Song

Last week I mentioned that I got into the British TV series Wolfblood. I am now totally obsessed with the theme song. I love with the Celtic feel of the song. My obsession with this song is weird. I wake up with it in my head almost every day. Then I have to go listen to the extended version of the song on YouTube. Haha! What can I say? It's a good theme song.



#1 Celtic Music



My mom and I decided that it would be cool to learn some Celtic songs where she plays the flute and I play the Autoharp. We got a music book with Celtic songs for autoharp for this purpose. The book came with a CD and I ended up listening to it over and over again. I even included music from the CD in my vlog video last week, because that's what I listened to while editing. That made me want to listen to even more Celtic music. It is a style of music that is so rhythmic and complex. It's like candy to my ears. Okay... Now my obsession with the Wolfblood theme is starting to make more sense.

No comments: