Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Weekly Obsession Wednesday - Sleeping In A Hammock and Other Stuff

Hey all. Here are the obsession for the week. It's mostly my quirky decorating stuff again. Enjoy!

#3 My Mermaid Shower Curtain




















I have one almost Hawaiian patterned shower curtain already, but I thought it was a good idea to get two shower curtains. That way I can alternate them so I can wash one. Clean shower curtains are awesome.  As I mentioned recently I am working on my new bathroom having a mermaid decorating theme. Thus, I ordered a shower curtain with a silhouette of of a mermaid from Amazon. It looks great. The background goes well with the wall color and my bathroom can never have enough mermaids. Now I have two awesome shower curtains. Yay!

#2 Putting The New TV On The Wall
















My mom and I decided to use a bit of the money we have made from teaching and get a new Smart TV for the bonus room. My dad thought it would be best to get a tilting wall mount to put the TV on the wall. So we spent a good deal of time over the weekend putting the TV up. I'm the one in my family that is good a reading directions so that was my main job while dad had to do some drilling. It was actually fairly easy to put the wall mount together and put the TV up on the wall once we got going. We celebrated by renting Mad Max: Fury Road and watching it on our new TV. It looked awesome. By the way the movie was action packed and awesome too.

#1 Sleeping In A Hammock


My mattress was so old that I was hurting me to sleep on it. So for my birthday I wanted a new mattress and bed. However, my new room is considerably smaller than my old one. I have this weird thing about the center of my room being open, and a bed was just going to take up most of my room. I could have gotten a Murphy Bed but the nice ones are so expensive. After much frustration I decided to look for alternatives for beds, and I stumbled on some info about sleeping in hammocks indoors. The idea appealed to me. A hammock is cheaper than a mattress, it doesn't take up much room, and it is easy to put away. I also knew that I had a couch that unfolded out flat just in case I didn't want to sleep in a hammock all the time. I did some more research and discovered that sleeping in a hammock is supposed to be healthy for you. Apparently one of the best sleeping positions you can sleep in is on your back with your head lifted and a 10 to 30 percent angle. This position is supposed to give you better oxygen and blood flow to your brain. This is basically the sleeping position you end up sleeping in when you sleep in a hammock. Some studies say that it can help with insomnia. It's also suppose to be good for your spine.

I ordered my hammock and a wall mounting kit. Since they were delivered around the time dad and I were putting the TV on the wall we already had all the tools to mount my hammock to the bedroom wall. I have slept three nights in it. It took me a little while to get used to sleeping on my back, but otherwise I have enjoyed the experience. It's too soon to know if it really helps my back but I can tell that it did help with my knee and hip alignment. I did feel less congestion in my sinuses which is a problem I often have when sleeping. I also noticed that I woke up a little less groggy. If these affects continue I will be fully converted to hammock sleeping. Plus, with my fold out couch and hammock my room now had a cool fun apartment feel.

No comments: