Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Weekly Obsession Wednesday - Of Clever Thoughts and Parasols

Hello all. I was a little difficult to narrow down my obsessions this week, because I didn't do the Wednesday post last week. However, I did manage to pick my three favorites of all the favorites. So here we go.

#3 Velvet Hangers












When you move you realize that you want to get rid of some of the old crappy stuff you had and get some new better things. One of those things for me was getting new clothes hangers. It just so happened that Big Lots had a good deal on very nice velvet hangers, and as a extra plus that had them in some fun colors. I went for a the blue ones. Velvet hangers are as awesome as people say that they are. You can hang pretty much anything on them because the clothes won't slip off them. Awesome for those outfits with thin straps. If you have a small closet like I do the velvet hangers are thinner and take up less space. Yay! I need all the space I can get. I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in some pant hangers now. I'm just using the sad ones from various stores right now.

#2 Making Old Books Pretty












My family like all people who lived before the internet had a very old set of Encyclopedia Britannica. Apparently Encyclopedias are hard to get rid of. Thus I decided to find a way to use them decoratively. I had some fabric for making hats left over, so I got an idea to recover the books with whimsical fabrics using Mod Podge. I tested it first on a book that was falling apart to see if it worked and it went pretty well. It took me a few tries to figure out  the best way to go about draping and cutting the fabric, but I think I've got it down now. I really like how they have turned out so far. They work great with our bookish decor.













#1 Paranormal Books With A Comedic Flaire
















Nothing puts you in a reading slump like moving. However, while moving the last bit of stuff I finally felt like picking up a book. Very specifically I felt like reading Soulless which is the the first book in Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate Series. I started once a few years ago and I didn't finish it. I went into a reading slump around that time too. Weirdly it was around the same time of year. However, I did feel like reading it at the moment, because I remembered that it has a lot of witty sarcasm and wacky characters. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. Every break I had I was reading Soulless. It did make me laugh. Plus, it had romance and action to boot. I'm thinking of starting the second novel in the series today. I love the world and writing style.

Around the same time as my Soulless obsession began the tenth anniversary addition of Twilight came out. This addition includes the original version the first Twilight novel. as well as a re-imagined version in which all the genders are reversed. Almost every character that was a girl is a boy and vice versa. Ironically without thinking much about it I had re-read the entire Twilight series this year. Thus, it was perfect timing to pick up this new version of the story and compare the similarities and differences. I'm enjoying the re-imagined version immensely. Much of the story is the same but there are a few minor deferences in dialogue and scenes due to the fact the Bella is now Beau and Edward is now Edythe. Also the book explains a few details a bit more than the original. It still has the same comic bookish humor as the original if not more. It gives me a giggle. I actually think there are several benefits to this version. That fact is that I haven't read many paranormal romances where the guy is human and the girl is a paranormal creature. It's an interesting dynamic. Though it would have dramatically change the series if Stephanie had written it that way. Which for some people would probably be good. However, I am one of those people who would probably miss Reneseme.

No comments: