Sunday, December 6, 2015

Must See Movie Monday - As Good As It Gets



Film: As Good As It Gets
Released: 1997
Rated: PG-13
Director: James L. Brooks
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear
Short Summary: A obsessive compulsive unsociable author, a single mother, and gay artist form an unlikely friendship.

Why It's A Must See Movie

I feel like every six months or so I feel the need to watch As Good As It Gets. I should probably just buy the movie for this purpose, but I seems like I always luck out and it turns up on TV. Of course this weekend I got lucky yet again and As Good As It Gets was on television. Which prompted me to think, "This definitely is a must see movie."

If you've followed blog long enough you might know that I love an unlikely friendship movie. For me this happens one of the best films of that type. I love how this film shows the lives of each of the characters individually in the beginning. Not all the characters start of as likeable. Even the loveable ones have human flaws. This gives the viewer such an excellent base line to show how the characters change by the end of the story. I also like that the movie shows that change doesn't happen all at once. We all have out weird habits to work on after all.

I don't just love this film because of the story and characters though. I love it because I seriously think every single scene in it is good. Every scene is my favorite scene, and not every film can have that effect on me. I feel like the formula for making scenes awesome comes from the combination of the witty dialogue and the excellent acting performances. Both contain the perfect blend of realism, occasionally beautiful sentence structure, and perfectly timed comedy. This makes the film deeply emotive and relateable. Even the awkward pauses between the actors in a scene are awesome.

If I'm in the mood for a good laugh and a smile As Good As It Gets is most certainly the movie I will watch. If you haven't seen it I suggest giving it a go. Perhaps it will make you smile as well.

No comments: