Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Weekly Obsession Wednesday - Historical Fiction TV and Eyeliner

Hello all! Here are my obsessions for the week. On with the show.

#3 Finishing Watching Reign














This week I finally finished watching the TV show Reign. I didn't get to watch the final season when it aired, and I was curious to see how the show finished out. The beauty of Netflix! This show centered around the life of Mary Queen of Scots, but also featured stories about other kings and queens during the same time period. I enjoy period drama so it's no surprise that I enjoyed watching this show. It is extremely fictionalized (what else can one expect from a TV show after all), and there are some plot lines that aren't my favorite. However, overall this show was super fun to watch, because of the high drama and the great acting. Of course, it also features beautiful sets and costumes. The show did manage to keep in a few key points from the life of Mary Queen of Scots which was cool. There are parts of her real life that even the writers of a TV show couldn't make up they are so crazy. Haha! The ending was only a tiny bit rushed, but I still think the show had a nice finish. Plus, it gets extra points for making one of the saddest stories in history feel like it had a happy ending.

#2 The Great Gatsby 2000 Film Version













I checked out the 2000 TV movie adaptation of The Great Gatsby at the library. I had been wanting to watch this adaptation for a long while, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. I flipping love the book so I like to see how different adaptations approach it. I was a bit on the fence on if I would like the 2000 adaptation, because I dislike the 1974 version and I think the 2013 version is lovely. Luckily the 2000 adaptation turned out to be very good. I think it was well adapted in terms of the writing, and I liked the elements from the book they picked to focus on. Overall it was very well casted in terms of the actors. My favorite element of the film was that the direction and cinematography focused on what was going on in the reactions of the characters when nothing was being said. I also thought the general tone of the film reflected the the tone of the book. I truly enjoyed the 2000 version. I highly recommend it. I might have to buy a copy of it for my DVD collection.

#1 NYX Vivid Brights Eyeliner













The last time I went to Walgreens I wanted to have a bit of fun and try out some new make up products. One that I tried was the NYX Vivid Brights Eyeliner. This line of eyeliner comes in a fun variety of bright colors. I enjoy liquid liners in wacky colors, because they are great for when you don't feel like wearing eye shadow yet still want to have some fun with your make up. I got three of the shades in this brand and I love the colors. I also love that they are so easy to apply. The brush applicator doesn't get too much product on it and it just the right size. Thus, I rarely make a mistake when trying to doing winged eyeliner with this product. When I get the chance I will probably get a few more colors, because they all look super fun.

No comments: